Physical therapy should be the first step to treat chronic pain conditions in your body. Studies show that 70% of patients that use physical therapy solutions for chronic back pain are successfully treated without needing painkillers, surgeries, or physician visits. Not only does it save considerable expenses, but it also improves your overall wellness and targets the root cause of your pain. Backsmart Wellness Center has trauma-trained physicians who provide personalized and hands-on physical therapy sessions to restore optimal health.
What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy refers to sessions wherein trained professionals examine and treat physical pain and conditions associated with disabilities, diseases, and injuries. Physical therapists are trained and licensed professionals who diagnose the root cause of your chronic pain to create a personalized physical therapy plan. They introduce specific movements and exercises that restore proper physical functioning, flexibility, and mobility.
What to Expect from Physical Therapy?
Our certified physical therapists listen to your concerns, establish goals, and create personalized treatment plans that address the root cause of your problems, such as injuries, trauma, or conditions. Based on your specific diagnosis and needs, our physical therapists recommend specific exercises, strength training workouts, and cardiovascular conditioning to improve your strength and restore optimal mobility. We take responsibility for your overall wellness from the initial diagnosis to the final stages of your recovery and aftercare.
Physical Therapy Includes
- Pain management and care.
- Physical exams and evaluation.
- Evaluation of your posture and flexibility.
- Evaluation of your muscles and joint performance.
- Education about the underlying conditions.
- Education on reducing the risk of future injuries.
- Exercises to improve overall range of motion.
- Exercises to improve flexibility.
- Exercises to strengthen muscles.
- Exercises to improve balance and coordination.
- Personalized home exercise programs.
Benefits of Physical Therapy
- Pain management without relying on drugs or opioids.
- Treats the underlying root cause of pain without surgeries.
- Improves overall mobility and flexibility.
- Helps you recover from injuries and trauma.
- Improves overall balance and minimizes falls.
- Empowers you to manage your wellness independently.
Side Effects of Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is a conservative and holistic treatment with no side effects or complications. You might experience pain and discomfort while performing the exercises, but that’s perfectly natural and expected. However, the pain and discomfort will decrease as your body adjusts to the motions and as your muscles are strengthened. As your strength and mobility improve, the pain and discomfort will gradually decrease, providing long-term and holistic wellness.
Physical Therapy Treats
- Acute and chronic pain
- Arthritic pain
- Ankle and foot injuries
- Back and spinal pain
- Cardiopulmonary conditions
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Balance problems
- Hand injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tennis elbow
- Hip and knee pain
- Joint pains
- Leg and knee injuries
- Muscle strains and sprains
- Neurological conditions
- Orthopedic problems
- Injuries from overuse
- Pregnancy-related pains
- Post-surgical pain and conditions
- Repetitive stress pains
- Sports-related injuries
- Urinary incontinence
The aforementioned conditions are examples of situations that benefit from physical therapy. However, physical therapy can address most bodily concerns, even if they’re not listed above. If you experience postural issues, flexibility problems, or pains in any parts of your body, please consider physical therapy before exploring other options. Physical therapy’s non-invasiveness and conservativeness make it far more preferable to drugs and surgeries.
If you’re prepared to restore your health and wellness, please schedule a consultation online or call us at 732-661-1121 to discuss your physical therapy options in Edison.