Our chiropractors will first do a thorough physical examination. This will enable them to identity the underlying cause of your knee pain in Edison, NJ. Even though the pain is located in the knee, the problem can lie elsewhere in the body.
For example, runners often complain of a tight iliotibial (IT) band — a common condition for them. This, however, may be caused by weakness in certain muscles, which makes them walk or run unevenly. In order to stabilize the joints, the IT band has to work harder. Over time, this may cause it to tighten and lead to knee pain.
Chiropractic care may be able to relieve knee pain, especially when combined with standard medical care. Spine and joint manipulation can improve the functioning of the knee by:
- Returning the spine to normal movement
- Relaxing the muscles of the body
- Increasing the range of motion in the knee
- Improving the coordination of joints, especially the ankle, knee and hips
- Reducing other problems in the body that may be contributing to pain in the knee
Chiropractors may also use other techniques to reduce inflammation in the knee that is causing pain, such as ultrasound therapy or ice massage. They may also apply special kinds of tape to the body to treat ligament injuries. This helps stabilize the problem area and reduce inflammation.